Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Cherish the Moments
As many know, my aunt (my only aunt) has ALS. She has been in a motorized wheelchair for many months, has a feeding tube, doesn't move and is barely able to talk. Lately, her posts on Facebook have been about winter and wondering where spring is. Yesterday, while I was at Target with Adam and saw the flower bouquets on display. On a whim, I decided to buy a bouquet and bring them to my aunt. She needed some "spring" in her sights instead of winter. Even though she can't speak clearly anymore, I could still tell that she she said "thank you" was happy to get them. Every time I see my aunt she's always in a good mood. I was able to see her Tobii Communicator. (http://www.tobii.com) It's a machine that works with my aunt's eyes. Since she can't move her arms anymore, it's the perfect tool for her. All she has to do is look at the screen and she can change the channels on her TV, go onto Facebook, have Tobii speak for her and much more. It's a really neat thing and I'm glad she is able to have something to help her communicate. I was able to have a small conversation with her and I enjoyed the time with her. Before I left I gave my aunt a hug and told her "I love you." It's not something I've done in a long time but I know it's moments like these that I will cherish. I still tear up every time I think about my aunt because I don't know how long I will have her around. My grandma had ALS less than two years when she died. I don't want to think about how much longer my aunt will have. She's had the diagnosis less than a year but had the early symptoms for more than a year. Even if you don't have family or friends who are dying, please cherish all the moments you have with them. You never know when it will be your last.
Labels:
family
No comments:
Post a Comment