I was contacted by one of the doctors last Friday to discuss our options. We have two choices right now. We can either attempt a 4th FET (frozen embryo transfer) with our last blastocyst embryo or do a fresh cycle again. With the fresh cycle I would have to go through massive (and expensive) amounts of drugs to stimulate my ovaries to produce more eggs. Once they retrieve the eggs, a little magic happens ;) and ta-da: embryos are created. (Gotta have a little humor with all this, right?) Anyway, once the embryos are created one cell from each embryo will be removed and Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) will take place. Basically they will test to see if there is anything wrong with our embryos and only transfer the good embryos. That's about all I know for now as we don't have our appointment until next month and this is what I was told over the phone. I asked about the stimulation process because last time I had severe ovarian hyper-stimulation after the egg retrieval and was hospitalized a few days. I was assured that the drugs they use on me will be slightly different (some will still be the same) so that I don't over stimulate. As for a timeline for all of this, I'm hoping to go through this process by the end of summer. We'll just have to wait and see what the doctors say at our appointment next month. I'm being very optimistic and I will not give up on becoming pregnant!
For readers who want to say, "why don't you just adopt?"...please read a fellow blogger's (thanks Jessah!) post about why adoption probably isn't for them. She puts into words about how I feel about adoption. At this time in my life, it too is not an option for Adam and I and we appreciate not being asked/or told to adopt.
No comments:
Post a Comment