Thursday, December 12, 2013

Miracles Come in Pairs


The secret is finally out! We expecting TWINS! We found out at our first ultrasound on November 20. I was 7w5d when we saw not one, but TWO heartbeats. I was so happy to find this out that I cried tears of joy! After all the infertility treatments over the last three years, we were finally blessed. I had a feeling that because we did the genetic testing after this round of IVF, both embryos would implant.

We have had three ultrasounds altogether (7w5d, 8w5d, and 10w3d). The first was in the infertility department to confirm pregnancy. The second one was at out first OB appointment. It was supposed to be just a nurse visit, but my itinerary said to not use the bathroom 30 minutes prior to the appointment so we assumed we'd have an ultrasound. Well, the nurse was running behind by over half an hour and then told us an ultrasound was not part of the nurses visit. We were bummed. She felt so bad that we had to wait so long for the appointment that she went ahead and found a doctor to do an ultrasound for us. We were relieved to still hear two heartbeats at that appointment. Our next (and latest) appointment was this past Monday (10w3D). We got to visit with one of the doctors. I won't be able to have a midwife since I am having twins and considered 'high-risk." I'm not too concerned because I know I am in great hands at Mayo.

This last ultrasound we actually saw Baby A move its arms around! Both babies were just under 4cm on Monday and I'm sure they're bigger now. The doctors want to see me about every 3-4 weeks, but since Christmas/New Year's is coming up and me trying to schedule appointments after school, my next appointment with a doctor isn't until I'm 15 weeks along. It'll be hard to wait that long to make sure the babies are continuing to grow at the rate they are suppose to. Good news is the nausea has subsided, but I am still tired and need to eat every few hours. Being tired is normal for me though since I teach full time.

I do have an appointment with a dietitian in the OB department on the 24th to talk about how much I should really being eating. Carrying multiples requires more calories, but I don't want to go overboard. So far I have only gained a few pounds over the last two months. I'd say I'm doing pretty well. Not sure if I'm even showing yet since it's all bloating. Adam says by January I'll start showing. We'll have to wait and see!


No comments:

Post a Comment