Friday, July 6, 2012

Summer So Far

Summer seems to have flown by! I give a re-cap of what's happened since I last blogged:


  • I am still jobless (teacher jobless that is, but I still have a part time summer gig with plants). I have been so desperate to work with kids, that I've even applied for paraprofessional positions. I'm probably over-qualified for the positions since the minimum degree requirement is a 2 year degree. I think I have that covered, times 3. It doesn't pay nearly as well as teaching (which really isn't all that well compared to other occupations), however it's hopefully a foot in the door. I guess time will tell on this issue. I saw school supplies out at Target the other day and I got sad seeing them there. I am usually excited but since I don't have a classroom anymore, it's not as joyous to see the supplies.
  • My husband and I (and Rocky!) went back to my husband's hometown to have a camp-out with his family since there weren't any weddings or graduations this summer. We hung out with the family during the day and into the evening but went back to my in-laws house to sleep since the weather wasn't cool enough for us to sleep in. (We like it COLD!) 
  • Fourth of July was spent with my family (as it usually is) and Adam got to finally see the fireworks with me! Adam and I experienced another "first" this year due to watching the fireworks together. Last year he worked and the previous year (our first summer together) it had rained and fireworks were postponed. Of course he had to work on the rescheduled date. 
  • Infertility news: I am currently day 83 of this cycle. I think this is my longest cycle that I can remember. I have the meds to take to start another cycle, but I am going to wait until we get back from our little get away (to Wisc. Dells!) next week. I have been going to acupuncture about twice a month. I'm not sure it's really helping the infertility but I do enjoy getting the time to relax. We are pretty sure that we are going to cancel our next embryo transfer (September) and postpone medically (we will still try on our own, but no drugs, other than to start a new cycle should they continue to be long) trying to have kids until Adam is done with school. That'll be at least three years from now as he is still trying to work full time and go to school at the same time. Looks like I'll be an older mom and our oldest niece will be in middle school/high school (she's going into 5th grade this fall) by the time we have a kid. On the bright side, we will have a baby sitter if she's willing. :)
  • Only 2 days stand in between us and Wisconsin Dells! We are excited to get away and relax! We booked our hotel this past winter so all we have left to pay for is food and mini-golf. We don't plan to do much else than sit by the pool and mini-golf. We did all the other touristic things last summer. Since we are on a tight budget, it works for us!
  • Our oldest niece (and my goddaughter) turns 10 on July 17th! We will be celebrating her birthday soon! I can't believe how fast she's grown and I couldn't be more blessed to have her in my life. :o) 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is Adam going to school for?

Andrea said...

Respiratory Therapy. He's still finishing up Gen. Ed classes and in the process of applying to get into the program. He'll probably finish up his remaining credits this school year and get (hopefully) into the program for Fall 2013.

Anonymous said...

Can you explain more about why you are waiting? Before it seemed nothing could stand in your way... Now it seems like you're throwing in the towel... 1 month was like an eternity for you - how will you stand 3 years?!?

Andrea said...

It all comes down to money. I don't have a teaching job and we'll barely scrape by on my husband's paychecks and my wages as a substitute teacher. I hear all the time from people that you shouldn't wait to have money to have kids or you'll never have them. As desperate as I want to have a child, I refuse to bring them into a world where I can't support them (Unlike some people who have babies and then have the tax payers feed their child). I have used a spreadsheet to balance my bills for the last 7 years. I know there's no way I can afford daycare, diapers (though I have plenty on hand at this moment) and all the other costs associated with a kid at this point in life without a good paying job. Simple as that. It's not the end of the world if I'm an older mom (my friend did it on her own at the age of 37). She is a wonderful mother and I know I will be a mom someday too, whether I'm 30 or 40.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so it doesn't really have anything to do with your husband's schooling - it's all about money? What if you get a teaching job before September?

Andrea said...

Basically, yes. If I get a teaching job (that gives me equal to what I was making if not more)before September, we will probably go ahead with our scheduled transfer in September. Teaching jobs are hard to come by and I've been grateful to get the interviews I've had. In the teaching world, it about who you know, and not what you know. Since I don't have an "in" in any district, my chances of finding a job are harder. I'm trying to be a responsible adult and be able to provide for my children. It wouldn't be fair to them if I couldn't provide them with their basic needs. Once my husband is done with school and gets a job as a respiratory therapist, we'll most likely be okay for money. Until our combined incomes become what they were when I had a teaching job, it's a no-go on infertility treatments. They are not cheap!

Post a Comment