Friday, May 9, 2014

32 Weeks

Today started out early as I had to get blood drawn (for the kidney lab work) at 7:20am. We went to Saint Mary's because they had free 30 minute parking. After that we stopped at Panera to pick up breakfast before our next appointment. I hadn't eaten since 6pm last night as I had to fast for 12 hours prior to the blood draw. I was hungry and so were the boys!

Our next appointment was for an ultrasound of the boys because we were told the one that was done on April 28 was incomplete. I guess that wasn't the case, so there was some miscommunication between the doctors and scheduling. I guess the kidney ultrasound was the one that was incomplete. Not sure when I'll have another one of the kidneys, but urology will have to decide when I go to my appointment on Monday.  The ultrasound of the boys was well and they both scored 8/8 for the things the tech needed to see. She didn't do any measurements of weight because they like to have more than two weeks in between ultrasounds. We will do another measurement ultrasound at my May 27 appointment.

Since we weren't in ultrasound too long so we decided to make the walk over to the Gonda building to see if I could check in early for my appointment to take a survey for urology. I was able to get in sooner and take the questionnaire on the computer. I finished earlier than the anticipated time so we went home and I got to take a nap since our next appointment wasn't until 12:30.

We checked into Echocardiology a little before 12:30 and got in on time. The tech spent about 20 minutes checking over Baby B's heart. He then said he'd have a cardiologist look over the ultrasound pictures and then possibly look at Baby B's heart as well. Turns out that the hole in Baby B's heart did not close like we had hoped for. At this point there is nothing we can do. When the boys are born, Baby B will have an echocardiogram done shortly after birth. The echocardiologist told us that Baby B will likely have open-heart surgery before his first birthday, to patch the hole, depending on how is he thriving. They don't like to do surgeries before 3-4 months if at all possible. Baby B should be just fine, however, if it looks like he is not making sufficient growth, they will do surgery sooner rather than later. We are not worried at this point since there is nothing that we can do for him. We know that he is in good hands at the Mayo Clinic!

Our fifth appointment was back in OB to meet with a neonatology doctor. He basically told us what the echocardiologist had just told us. He asked if we had any questions,  but we didn't have any. We stayed in the same room to wait for the OB doctor for our last appointment. She was late getting to us. She went over a few things with us that are routine for my appointments. She prescribed compression hose for me, gave me a work release to work half days so that I'm not on my feet as much, and also put in orders to have blood drawn (appointment #7!) after the appointment to have my TSH (thyroid) level checked. She also double checked to see if my induction date was scheduled - 7:30 report time on June 20! I will be seeing the doctors every two weeks until further notice. My next appointments are on May 27 (34w7d) and then June 9 (36w3d). They might schedule me in one more time before 38 weeks, but we'll have to wait and see.

After getting my blood drawn, we stopped at the Mayo Store to get fitted for compression hose. I, lucky that Adam won't be going to guard again before the boys are born so he can help me get them on on the mornings. After getting the hose, we went to Famous Footwear to look for bigger shoes with more support. I ended up finding a pair of Asics that are exactly like my current ones but a size 9 instead of a size 8. It will be a little difficult to tie them, but I'll try my best! It's great to have a pair of shoes that fit again!

We finally ended the day having dinner with our sister-in-law to celebrate her graduation from grad school.  Now that we are home I can finally put my feet up again! It's been a long, but busy day! I'll be sleeping in tomorrow and then going to school to work on lesson plans for the remainder of the year. Four weeks of school are left! I'm not sure now many half days I'll take, or whether I'll take mornings or afternoons off. Either way, it'll be nice to not have to be on my feet from 8-4pm and still see my kiddos each day. I'll try to see how long I can go teaching all day now that I have good fitting compression hose.

No comments:

Post a Comment