We were sitting at one of our infertility appointments in the waiting room since we were between appointments. I brought my iPad to play around on since it's more fun than my iPhone. I follow our local animal shelter on Facebook as we had adopted our dog Rocky from there when he was 3 months old (he's now 2 1/2 years old). I looked at their available dogs periodically because I do have a soft spot in my heart for medium to large dogs who need a home. We talked about getting another dog but we weren't sure what kind to get. We talked about a beagle or an Australian Shepard. We didn't want to get another large dog like Rocky (lab/Great Dane mix).
The day we were sitting and waiting for our appointment I decided to search PetFinder.com and look for young dogs near our area. I wasn't sure what to search for so I checked the boxes for Baby and Young. I didn't mark a bread or a gender. I searched within 100 miles of our home. I had looked through several pages when I came across a picture of a small black lab named Hope. Her face and her name are what caught my attention. After two plus years of struggling with getting pregnant, hope is something we need.
I clicked on her profile and found that she was rescued by a lady in Alabama from a feral (non-domesticated) mother. Hope was struck with Parvo when she was 4 months old and was really ill. The lady who rescued her couldn't keep her as she already had a lot of dogs. Hope was sent to Diamonds in the Ruff in Minnesota. (Diamonds in the Ruff is a small non-profit organization based in Roseville, Minnesota working to help place homeless canines in loving, appropriately-matched homes.) Hope arrived in Minnesota on June 30. We saw her profile on July 3. I looked at Adam and showed him her picture and said, "Can we get her??" He said we could. I filled out the application, not know if she was still available or not.
We were contacted that afternoon and were told that she was still available and that we would need to complete a home visit first before we were okayed. The lady in charge at Diamonds in the Ruff was looking for a contact down in our area to visit our home. In the process, the lady contacted someone who knew who Adam and I were and said that we'd be WONDERFUL pet parents. Because of that review, our home visit was waived. We were in the clear! Hope had to be spayed and micro-chipped before we could pick her up. She had her surgery on July 5 so we had to wait a while before we could pick her up.
We were able to pick up Hope and add her to our family on July 10, 2013. Hope is still kind of shy, but she is slowly warming up to us and it'll take some time. She's had a rough life before she met us, however, she will have a great life ahead of her. She now belongs to a loving family with great parents and an awesome big brother, Rocky. :)
Hope's pictures on the adoption website.
How could you not love this face?!?! She looks a lot like Rocky did when he was little.
Our Happy Little Family
Me and My Babies
Rocky and Hope outside. Rocky looks like a GIANT compared to Hope. Rocky is almost 90 lbs and is mixed with Great Dane. Hope is 7 months and is 30 lbs. She is on the small side because of her sickness in the past. Hope is lab mixed with Chow Chow.


No comments:
Post a Comment