Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Here Comes November!

Wow! Can we say a lot has changed since I last blogged?! Last time I blogged I was still a para at a school in town and was on break. Today I finished my third day as a half-time 1st grade teacher!! How'd that happen you ask? Well, during my three week break (remember it's a year-round school so 1st quarter finished at the end of September and then we started break), I saw postings for three 0.5 FTE teaching jobs in the district at other schools. I wasn't going to apply for anything this year but after talking with my husband about finances, it was something I needed to do before he gets into a program for school and have to drop down in hours. I figured, why not apply? If I don't get it, I, don't get it. So I applied for all three positions and I actually got called for an interview for one of them! I was excited because it was for the same school I grew up in kindergarten through sixth grade. I went to the interview feeling more confident than my other interviews. I figured if they didn't like what I had to say, then it wasn't my time to get a position. Besides, I was really happy at my current school. Well, I did get the position and started this past Monday! I was very sad to leave my last school (the one with the para job) and hope to return there someday. I made some friends there and really loved working with the kids. I know I will have new kids to love, but my last school is still like home to me. So now you'll hear more things from me about school, except now it'll be about first graders instead of kindergartners. Trust me, I still find it strange to call myself a first grade teacher when all I've known is Kindergarten for the last five years!

------

On Saturday I will be starting my first day back at grad school; this time for my K-12 Reading licensure. I printed off the syllabus the other day and was kind of freaked out about the class! I'm actually pretty happy that I am only teaching half time so that I can concentrate on grad school.

-----

We celebrated my husband's 29th birthday by road-tripping to another city. We visited an apple orchard and then stopped for lunch. While the apple stop was great, the lunch was not. We won't be back there again. We then made beer can chicken (or should I say Adam did) and had that for dinner. The next night we had family and friends over for dinner. We had about 15 guests. Adam isn't one for parties about him so next year when he turns 30, it'll be low key too. And of course, he'll know about it since he doesn't like surprise parties!
-----

Today is Halloween. It's definitely different than last year in regards to my health. Last year we were going through our first IVF cycle. I was two days away from egg retrieval and felt like I was going to explode from all the follicles that we on my ovaries (they ended up removing 20 follicles on 11-2-11, 16 of them grew to embryos and were frozen). I ended up getting severe Ovarian Hyper-stimulation Syndrome and was hospitalized that weekend. So here I am a year later, a halted IVF cycle and two failed embryo transfers later, still not pregnant. While I am still sad we haven't been successful in getting pregnant, we are still going to be hopeful since we have 6 embryos left (for two more tries). However, we don't know when those tries will be. It'll probably be few years until we can afford another try. In the meantime, I am working on sewing projects for others to raise money to go towards our next try. So far we have a few hundred dollars, but we're only about 10% to our goal. I'm sure once Adam and I both have full time careers we will be okay to pay for another try. We are also trying to get pregnant on our own since we can't afford treatments, but that's not working out so well since I'm still irregular. Oh well.

----

Onto November. I'm sure it'll be a busy month as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment