Monday, November 7, 2011

What an Adventure

Let's just say that the past few days have not been much fun! I had (and still am in) pain from the egg retrieval on Wednesday last week. What happened was I had fluid building up in my abdomen from the surgery and prior to the surgery because of Ovarian Hyperstimuluation. I sought relief at the little hospital in Marshall, MN Saturday night. We were in Marshall because my husband was hunting with his family. Needless to say, the doctors at Marshall weren't quite sure what do to with my since I was their first patient to have Ovarian Hyperstimulation. They did an ultrasound on my ovaries and found they were still enlarged (10cm each) and did a CT scan on my belly and found no stool but lots of fluid in the abdomen. They weren't sure how to remove it so they put me on pain meds for the night and transferred me to Mayo Clinic (my primary doctors) Sunday afternoon to have them resolve the issue. I arrived to Mayo Clinic Sunday night after a long bumpy ambulance ride. It sucked but pain meds helped a little. Once I arrived at Mayo the put me on more fluids and more pain meds overnight. This morning I underwent a little procedure called "therapeutic paracentesis" in which they drained 2350ml of ascitic fluid from my belly. In better terms, they remove almost 10 cups of fluid from my stomach! Oh the pressure was off! It was so nice. However I am feeling a bit bloated again and have some pain but it should hopefully calm down in the next few days. Bed rest, walking, Tylenol and ibuprofen will be my friends in the next week. I am hoping to be better by the weekend. I will be missing my second week of work in a row which stinks, but I need to be back to normal before I can go back to work. Hopefully no more issues arise! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment