Saturday, January 28, 2012

Sewing Project: Transforming a Military Uniform

I found a really cute idea on Pinterest about taking a military uniform and turning it into a purse/tote. There were even directions on how to make it. I've decided to make a diaper bag out of my husband's uniform (one he doesn't wear anymore because the Velcro doesn't work anymore). Now don't jump to any conclusions, because as far as I know, I'm not pregnant. (Here's to hoping I am though!) Why am I starting to make a diaper bag now? Well, once I get an idea in my head, it's best to just put it into action ASAP. Since we have been TTC (trying to conceive) for the past 14 months, we have looked around at baby things to see what's out there. Diaper bags come in all kinds of colors and designs. I've always wanted something gender neutral so that I can use it with all our kids. Then I saw the idea on Pinterest and I had a great idea! I never thought I'd ever make a diaper bag but once I saw the idea for the army tote, I figured, hey, why not try? Last night I started seam ripping, or un-sewing as my MIL says :), the uniform apart. I also looked online at diaper bags at Target.com (my favorite store) to see what kind of dimensions their diaper bags were. I've never owned a diaper bag so I couldn't just whip one up out of the blue. After I found dimensions of a few, I sat down to sketch out my own ideas. I have a vision in my head, so now hopefully I can create something wonderful (and useful someday!)..Now back to work I go on my project!

Here's a before shot of the jacket. I haven't touched the pants yet, but I might have to. 

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Oh, and I did end up using parts of the pants for fabric. :)

Post a Comment