Tuesday, October 25, 2011
In My Favor
The scale has never really been much of a friend. However, the scale has been in my favor for quite some time actually. Today I hit a new low (number on the scale that is) since I've been trying to lose weight! Let me tell you, it's been a battle over the years. Little did I know that having PCOS is what was prohibiting me from losing weight no matter how hard I worked out. It didn't matter how much I worked out (which I hate doing) or ate right (which I did most of the time). Turns out my body can't burn the sugars as normal as someone without PCOS. Kind of like a diabetic, but not at the same time. I don't run high blood sugars, nor was I obese. I just couldn't burn the sugars. According to my BMI, I was considered overweight. Though my doctors would tell me that I'm not overweight. Since maintaining a weight I actually liked has been difficult, my fertility doctors put me on a medication called Metformin. It's not a fertility drug, but it is used by diabetes patients who are overweight. It helps them to control their blood sugars, which in turn helps them lose some weight. The fertility doctors use this drug a lot in PCOS patients during fertility treatments. I probably didn't need to take the drug, but I am glad that I did. I have lost 13 lbs in the 3 months that I have been taking it. It's helped me curb my appetite (which I needed to to since I was not good a portions at all!). It has also helped me lose weight which in turn makes me a lot happier. That's something you need to get through infertility! Although I am still 12 lbs away from my goal weight, I'm not going to stress out about getting to that point. I am just super happy my pants are loose (now if only my breasts would shrink!!!). Being happy is what's keeping me going through all this infertility stuff. It's not about a number on a scale, but about feeling good about myself. I am finally getting to that point. :o)
No comments:
Post a Comment